Gia Dau Hoa Lan Xao Toi (Tossed Asian Snow Pea Shoots)

I've been making an effort to blog more recipes... hopefully over the next few months, I get all the recipes I want from my mom. I haven't had much practice in making these dishes on my own though because I don't like to eat my own cooking (weird, I know). My next step is perfecting these dishes... hopefully I can make my boyfriend or dad eat whatever the heck it is I make.

Anyway, this dish is present at many Chinese restaurants. It's super easy and quick to make... seriously, this is done in 10 minutes! The only thing is - I don't think I translated the name into English correctly... will update when I find out what the English name is!

Ingredients:
1 large bag of snow pea shoots (the market I went to didn't have snow pea shoots so I bought pea sprouts instead... tasted exactly the same! I think they are the same...)
Bot nem ga (chicken broth)
9 cloves of garlic
Fish Sauce (optional)
Oyster Sauce

1. In a large skillet, heat cooking oil on low/medium heat. Mom used Olive Oil but you can use vegetable oil... Chinese food is oily and unhealthy (I think) in general so I prefer to use olive oil over vegetable oil whenever I can. Olive oil has a reputation for being the "healthy oil" since it's rich in monounsaturated fats and some antioxidants. Good olive oils also have a pleasant flavor and aroma that compliment many dishes.
Side note: Olive oil has a relatively low smoke point, making it ideal for moderate-heat cooking such as stir-frying or pan-searing dishes.  Vegetable oil has a higher smoke point and is better for high-temperature cooking, such as deep frying or baking. Vegetable oil is also cheaper and is a cleaner (or lighter) flavor.
2. Mince 9 cloves of garlic. Add 2/3 of this to the skillet and slightly brown the garlic.

3. Add the snow pea shoots to the skillet. Add 3/4 - 1 PS of oyster sauce, 1/2 tea spoon of bot nem ga (chicken broth), and toss the snow pea shoots.

4. Toss the snow pea shoots for just a few minutes. Add the last 1/3 of the minced garlic. This dish cooks really quickly!!! Seriously... like less than a minute. Just toss it around about a half dozen times and you're done! You want the flavors to be just soaked up by the snow pea shoots. Make sure to taste... you can add a splash (tiny splash) of fish sauce if you want. This step is optional. My mom only did this because it was initially a little flavorless.
5. Retaste. Enjoy this with rice, it's really a side dish to 2+ entree plates.


Looks good, doesn't it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to parboil bones for a clean broth

Corn Potage Soup (a la Curry House!)

Rau Muong Xao Toi (Stir-fried Water Spinach and Garlic)