Ca Chim Den Kho (Black Pomfret Fish Sauteed in Sugar and Chili)

Okay okay, I know what you're thinking. Isn't this just like another recipe I've posted? Well, yes and no. Vietnamese people LOVE caramel sauce, which is a heated mixture between vegetable oil and sugar. What makes this dish different is the use of thai serrano chili. It gives this dish a spice that takes the flavor in a slightly different direction. It also uses a different type of fish - black pomfret (in my opinion) tastes sweeter and less fishy than tilapia. Try it :)

My boyfriend suggested that I should dress up the final versions of this pictures... well the problem is - I cook but I don't like to eat my own food. So, dressing up the food requires serving it onto a plate for someone to eat. Maybe one day I'll make that extra effort and eat it - until then, you'll see all the food I make still in their pots and pans :)

Ingredients:
2 Ca Chim Den Kho chopped (Black Pomfret Fish)
Sugar
Bot Nem Ga (chicken broth)
Nuoc mam
Salt
Tamarand (me)
Caramel sauce (make with sugar and oil)

1. Using a mortar and pestle, ground 4 cloves of garlic, 1 small red onion, 3 scallions, 3 serrano chilis. TIP: Salt the batch before you ground it because the salt will keep the things from flying out the mortar.


2. Move the mushed up stuff to a small bowl.
3. In a small pan, heat up some vegetable oil and sugar for the caramel sauce.
4. Add 1/2 - 1 cup of nuoc mam, 1/4 PS of salt, 2.5 sugar, 1/2 PS of bot nem ga, 1/4 PS sized chunk of me (tamarind).


This is after mixing the sauces/seasonings together :)

5. Add fish to small sized pot on low heat. Add the mixture from earlier and gently fold in the mixture. Be careful not to disturb the fish. Let sit for a few minutes then add 2 cups of water. Turn to high heat. Remember to cover the pot!


6. In ten minutes, drizzle some vegetable oil over the mixture. This will help the fish soak up the sauces.
7. Retaste and let cook for another 15-20 minutes.


Then you're done! Viola! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to parboil bones for a clean broth

Corn Potage Soup (a la Curry House!)

Rau Muong Xao Toi (Stir-fried Water Spinach and Garlic)