Canh Ca Ca Chua (Fish Soup with Tomato)

The cold cold weather in CA (it's been about 60 degrees... eek!) has put me in the mood for some soup :). I know, I'm a wuss when it comes to cold weather but that just makes me a big soup lover :)

I love making fish soups because they cook so quickly! Well, today I tried my hand at another Vietnamese fish soup.... and it took me less than half an hour :) This is an easy recipe when all you have at home is fish and tomatoes... personally, I think this dish is just so-so but it hits the spot on a cold day :)

Ingredients:
2 tomatos
2 fish (chopped) [preferably a white fish]
Tamarind (me)
Nuoc mam
Sugar
Chicken granules (bot nem ga)

1. In a medium pot, boil some water.
2. Half and slice two tomatoes.

This is the sliced tomatoes next to some me (tamarind). Mommy likes to add tamarind because it makes it extra flavorful. 

3. Add tamarind and tomatoes to the water. You don't have to wait for the water to boil while doing this.


This is what it should look like :) 
YUM I love tomato in my soup... it makes the soup broth so tasty, sweet, and it's healthy!

4. When the water is boiling, add 3 PS nuoc mam, 1/4 PS bot nem ga (chicken broth), 1/2 - 3/4 PS sugar.
5. Add the fish and simmer on low heat. Stir occasionally.

Watch the cooking time... you don't want to eat overcooked fish. If it's overcooked, it'll be tough and tasteless. 
6. When the soup boils, it's done!
7. Garnish with green onions and cilantro.




This soup is quick and easy - it only takes around 20 minutes to make! The fish cooks pretty quickly so it's good if you're super hungry and just can't wait to eat... ENJOY!

***** I sometimes add dill for some EXTRA flavor :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to parboil bones for a clean broth

Corn Potage Soup (a la Curry House!)

Rau Muong Xao Toi (Stir-fried Water Spinach and Garlic)