Creme Brûlée

Okay, I know this next recipe isn't Vietnamese... but it's French. And the French occupied Vietnam for over 100 years. And Vietnamese people love egg-based desserts. Does that count? Whatever, this is my blog and I can do whatever I want. :)

I wanted a place to store my creme brûlée recipe so decided to put it on this site. This comes from experimenting with several other recipes and finally coming up with something I like. It's a very basic recipe and I change it based on my mood.

2 cups heavy cream
5 egg whites
1/3-1/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp of vanilla extract
some brown sugar (to carmelize the top)

1. Boil water.
2. In small pot, heat 2 cups of heavy cream, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup of sugar. You can add more sugar if you want more sweetness. Stir and heat until you see steam rising from the mixture.
3. Beat egg whites until it forms small peaks at the end of your whisk and slowly add to the heated cream mixture. Taste it and add a little bit of sugar as you see fit.
* Sometimes I like to add a little egg yolk to thicken the mixture, or some flavoring depending on my mood. For instance, you can add matcha powder for green tea creme brulee or mocha powder for chocolate creme brulee.
4. Place a small towel in a casserole-sized pan and fill it with boiling water until it just covers the towels. Get six small ramekins and pour the creme brûlée mixture into it. Gently place the ramekins inside the pan. Add more water until it reaches halfway to the ramekins.
5. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until the center is almost set/jiggly. Remember, you don't want to over bake your creme brûlée. It can taste a little thick.
6. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours. Or overnight.
7. When ready to eat, scoop a small spoonful of brown sugar over your creme brûlée. Get your blowtorch (cause everyone has one) and burn the sugar over the creme brûlée. This gives it that nice hard crunch when your break your creme brûlée.
8. Top with fruit and chantilly (whipped cream).
9. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to parboil bones for a clean broth

Corn Potage Soup (a la Curry House!)

Rau Muong Xao Toi (Stir-fried Water Spinach and Garlic)