Tom Rim Ca Chua (Caramel Shrimp with Tomato)

Hi guys, I know it's been a while since my last post. I know you've been eagerly waiting to see what concoctions I've been making. Well, wait no more! I'm back with a bunch of new recipes. :)

I learned this recipe from my aunt. She learned it from a woman who learned it from another woman who got it from another woman. Needless to say, it's a well known Vietnamese recipe.
Actually, I've never had this dish before my aunt showed me how to make it. There is a variation of it (which I will post soon) that I'm more familiar with but this dish is just as tasty. It cooks REALLY fast, you're done in 15 minutes, tops! It's great for when you're short on time but have a big appetite.

10-15 shrimp; about 1 lb (some peeled and some unpeeled or whatever your preference is)
nuoc mam
salt
pepper
sugar
2 green onions (cut lengthwise into 1.5 inch sections)
1/2 small red onion
1/4 small white onion (cut into small half moon-like rings)
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tomato (minced or diced into really small cubes...REALLY small)

1. Mince 3 cloves of garlic. Thinly slice 1/2 small red onion (you know, the baby sized ones that are a little longer than a quarter in diameter). Also slice 1/2 tomato into really small cubes (almost mince it) and set only the tomatos aside.
2. In a large skillet, add oil. Add garlic and red onion. Let it cook a little (don't cook TOO long b/c you don't want to brown the garlic). Stir a little bit.
3. Add the tomato to the skillet and let the juices come out. Stir.
4. Add the shrimp and cook into just pinkish color. Constantly stir.
5. Add 1-2 tsp of nuoc mam and 1-2 tsp of sugar. You want about a 1:1 ratio of nuoc mam: sugar. Remember to STIR!
6. Retaste. Add 1/8 of salt if needed (maybe more, maybe less). You don't really measure in Vietnamese home cooking anyway. The dish should taste a little sweet, a bit salty, and a lot savory :)
7. When the shrimp is almost done cooking, add the green onions and white onions. Add 1/4 tsp pepper (again, to your liking).
8. Retaste :) and you're done!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to parboil bones for a clean broth

Corn Potage Soup (a la Curry House!)

Rau Muong Xao Toi (Stir-fried Water Spinach and Garlic)