Berry Streusal Pie

I got this recipe from bonappetit.com and it was completely delicious! I like the extra crumbly pie topping crust which gives it nice texture. For the bottom pie crust, I used my friend's vodka pie crust recipe.

You can make the topping and crust ahead of time, preferably a day before if you can.


https://www.bonappetit.com/RECIPE/BERRY-STREUSEL-PIE

CRUST
2 and 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/3 cups chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

*I actually used my friend's crust recipe so haven't tried this.


TOPPING
6 tablespoons (packed golden brown sugar)
6 tablespoons whole almonds
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 and 1/2 tablespoons of old-fashioned oats
4 and 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour

1. Combine all in a food processor and process until moist clumps form.
2. Cover topping and chill in the freezer.

FILLING
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon (my addition)
5 cups associated fresh berries (such as raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries; about 8 ounces each)

1. Mix sugar, tapioca, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Zest about 1/4 or 1/2 lemon. Add berries and toss gently to combine.
2. Let stand until tapioca softens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. 

*when I initially tasted the mixture, it was so syrupy sweet that I was worried the 1 cup of sugar was too much - so I added about 1/2 teaspoon of lemon, some zest, and some more fruit to cut down the sweetest. But once it baked, it wasn't overly sweet - the tartness of the berries dulled it down and it tasted fine.

*In the future, it is OK to do 1 full cup of sugar (or can do maybe 1/2 tablespoon less), or just add extra fruit (which was what I did), or more lemon/lemon zest (which was what I did as well since the original recipe did not call for zest)

BAKING

*butter and flour the pan - can use the wrapper of butter to butter than pan and then sprinkle with flour

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Add crust to pan and stick in freezer for 1-2 minutes. Spoon filling into crust. Crumble topping evenly over filling.
2. Bake pie until crust and topping are golden brown and filling is bubbling, covering loosely with sheet of foil if topping browns too quickly, about 55 minutes. 
3. Transfer pie to rack and cool at least 3 hours, let stand at room temperature. Can be made 8 hours ahead.





*note: I burnt my crust because I didn't cover with aluminum foil ... oops 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to parboil bones for a clean broth

Corn Potage Soup (a la Curry House!)

Rau Muong Xao Toi (Stir-fried Water Spinach and Garlic)